Food poisoning is more commonly referred to as foodborne sickness, which is the consequence of eating stale, or contaminated food.
The most regular food poisoning symptoms include vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea.
Although food poisoning is quite a bad experience, it’s not rare.
1 out of 6 American suffers some forms of food poisoning each year- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Food Poisoning Symptoms:
A person with food poisoning does not stay hidden. Symptoms can be different, which depends on the source of the contamination.
The length of time for occurring the symptoms also depends on the source of the contamination, but it can vary from 1 hour to 28 days.
Common causes of food poisoning usually include as a minimum 3 of the next symptoms:
- Stomach pains
- Loss of taste
- Minor fever
Food Poisoning Causes?
Most of the food poisoning occur for the next 3 reasons:
Bacteria is the number one culprit for food poisoning. The most dangerous bacteria include Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria.
Salmonella is by far the biggest culprit of serious food poisoning cases in the United States.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention– a predictable 10 million cases of food poisoning and almost 20 thousand hospitalizations are traced to salmonella contamination yearly.
C. botulinum and Campylobacter are 2 of the lesser-known and toxic bacteria that can lie in our food.
Food poisoning caused by parasites is less common than bacteria, but it is still serious.
Toxoplasma is a kind of parasite that most commonly occurs food poisoning. It’s normally found in cat litter boxes.
Parasites can live in your stomach hidden for years.
But, pregnant women and the person with weak digestive systems are at risk of this serious fallouts if parasites stay in their stomach.
Food poisoning can also occur through a virus. Norwalk is a kind of virus that causes 19 million food poisoning every year in the United States.
In rare circumstances, it can be deadly. Astrovirus sapovirus and rotavirus, bring on same indications, but they’re rare. Hepatitis A virus can also be spread through food.
Foods to Eat after Food Poisoning:
After noticing the symptoms of food poising like vomiting and diarrhea, you should not eat or drink anything.
After a few hours, you can start eating the next foods/drinks to decrease weakness:
- Electrolytes contained sports drinks for keeping yourself to be hydrated.
- Tender foods like oatmeal, bananas, cereals, egg white’s applesauce, rice, and toast.
Foods to Avoid after Food Poisoning:
You should not eat or drinks, which harsh your stomach like-
- Spicy foods
- Alcohol and Nicotine
- Fatty or fried foods
- Refined and Seasoned foods
- Dairy products
When to Visit a Doctor?
Sometimes food poisoning symptoms may be dangerous including:
- A high fever level more than 101.5°f
- Loss of eyesight and speaking difficulty.
- Symptoms of dryness may also include very little urination, dry mouth, and trouble keeping liquids down.
- Passing urine and blood together.
If you see any of these signs, immediately visit your doctor.
5 Effective Home Remedies for Food Poisoning in Adults:
Mild to moderate food poisoning can be treated easily at home.
But, serious circumstances might require medical care.
1. Basil leave and Honey for Food Poisoning Cure:
The antibacterial properties in basil leaves and honey can destroy foodborne microorganisms.
They keep cool your stomach and decrease the food poisoning bad effects.
- 1 teaspoon of Basil leaves extract
- 1 teaspoon of Honey
- Extract juice from a few crushed basil leaves.
- Mix it with one teaspoon of honey.
- Consume directly.
- You must take this solution for 3 to 4 times every day.
2. Basil Leaves and Cardamom for Food Poisoning Cure :
You should take this solution after food poisoning instantly.
The antimicrobial properties of basil leave help remove the germs caused food poisoning.
The mixture of basil and cardamom works amazingly in relieving vomiting and nausea.
- 3-4 pieces of basil leaves
- 1 piece of cardamom
- Chew them together
- Otherwise, you can mix cardamom powder and basil extract together and take a teaspoon of it.
3. Honey and Ginger for Food Poisoning Cure:
Ginger is most commonly applied as a tonic for many conditions. It has antimicrobial properties that help to fight the foodborne microorganisms.
Ginger can also stimulate the absorption process.
Adding honey and ginger together brings double benefits of curing the food poising due to the antimicrobial properties of honey can speed up your retrieval.
- 1 to 2 inches of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of Honey
- 1 cup of water
- Place a saucepan with a cup of water.
- Bring to boil them.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and strain.
- Keep it out from fire and cool down.
- Add a teaspoon of honey.
- Take directly the solution.
- Drink this tea as a minimum 3 times daily until your symptoms lessen.
4. Garlic and Honey:
Garlic contains powerful antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that demolish the foodborne microorganisms. It can also get rid of stomach pain and diarrhea.
- 2-3 pieces of garlic cloves or ½ teaspoon of garlic chop
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Chew on the garlic cloves directly.
- On the other hand, if you don’t like the strong flavor of garlic, mix ½ teaspoon of garlic chop and 1 teaspoon of honey together and have them directly.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar for Food Poisoning :
The antibacterial properties of apple cider vinegar are very effective against foodborne pathogenic bacteria like Escherichia coli.
ACV is also a rich source of minerals and enzymes that can help in stabilizing your body after a bout of food poisoning.
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 glass of warm water
- Add apple cider vinegar and warm water together.
- Drink it directly.
- You must drink this solution at least 2 to 3 times every day.